.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

MySpace meets real life.

A few weeks ago, one of my MySpace Friends (Trey) sent me an email with an idea. He knew that I played house concerts, and he wondered if I could play at his wedding. After a few emails back and forth, and approval from his future father-in-law, I booked my plane ticket and rental car to southeast Texas.

Trey and I conspired together and concocted a harebrained scheme: I would simply hide from the bride until the near the end of the wedding, where I would emerge to play her favorite song. A plan so perfect it could not fail!

And actually, it didn't fail. I came out of hiding at the appropriate moment, and sang Sandra McCracken's "Thy Mercy." The bride must not have liked it though-- she cried and held Trey while I played.

Afterwards, I played some hymns at their reception, and got to see the newly married couple interact with all the joy and excitement that comes with such a beautiful day. I was an outsider looking in, glimpsing their love for one another.

During the traditional Father-Daughter dance, I looked over to a nearby table and saw a framed picture of the bride:I recognized the picture, because I see it every time I log in to my MySpace account. She's in my "Top 8." At that moment, it hit me that, in the vast expanses of the interweb, everyone has a story, and I was able to be a part of two Friends' stories for one day. We share a love for these hymns, a common soundtrack that momentarily brought us together to celebrate.

That's one of the things I love about playing concerts (whether they be solo, with the band, or house concerts): it's a time to celebrate the Gospel together with people who I might have only a fleeting connection with otherwise.

I probably can't play at your wedding (!), but if you're interested in info on having me come share these hymns with you and your community, you can find it over at my site.

1 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

about a year ago you mentioned myspace, challenging people to sign up and that when you got a certain number of people you'd send out some new songs...or something like that...anyway, it's been a blessing getting familiar with music on myspace...i've had a couple myspace meets real life situations that have been very cool.

thanks!!

8:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home