.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, July 17, 2006

Oh, how I love the rock.

Friday night I went to The Basement to hear my friends Jordan (who did the artwork for Sandra McCracken's The Builder And The Architect) and LT (Laura Taylor, from the Indelible Grace CDs), play in their band, which is called "Dawson Wells, Some Hot Chicks, And Bob." This is perhaps the worst band name I've ever heard, and I wish they would change it to something less ridiculous. It was fun to watch them though, especially LT, who is the drummer. I've long heard of her renewed passion for drumming, and it was good to see her in action. I especially enjoyed their cover of Tom Petty's "Honey Bee."

Following them was Butterfly Boucher, who is my favorite female artist. I hate to say that though, because it sounds sexist. Her first record, Flutterby, is one of the best albums of the past few years, period. I supposed "highly melodic pop-rock" would be a good description of her sound, but you should just hear for yourself. Her backup band was basically a supergroup. Daniel Tashian (from Nashville's The Bees) and singer-songwriter extraordinaire David Mead were both on electric guitar and BGVs, and Marc Pisapia was on drums. Butterfly played bass, which was indescribably good. I am a huge fan of both The Bees and David Mead, so standing just a few feet from this band was completely surreal. Butterfly played six new songs and three from her first record, and said that while her new one is basically finished, there's no release date planned. This drives me crazy.

Butterfly (which is her real name, by the way) writes songs that are both delicate and fiercely passionate (the pictures below are proof of both), with lyrics that capture feelings or experiences that are common to everyone, yet are so unique. If you ever get the chance to see her live, don't miss out. In the meantime, you must get this to make it through the summer.

"Love...don't point, don't scare it..."

That's David Mead on the right. This pic weighs in at an astonishing 7,583 RUs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! How I love Butterfly Boucher. Good times indeed.

2:24 PM

 
Blogger K said...

she's pretty good, I put it on for repeat for too long though...gotta take a break before I can listen to her again lol

2:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home